I'm relatively new to MU and I'm currently setting up a sewer system model. Since it's a major system it consists mainly of tunnel in the rock, and not a regular pipe. I've predefined the dimensions of the cross section of the tunnel, but now I have problems defining unction and link properties, since most of them are not manholes but direction changes or in some cases places where a compareatively small pipe is attached to the tunnel. For cases where the tunnel just changes direction (no dimension change) I'm using "Weighted inlet energy" and "Total HLC" with coefficent 0. But what settings should I apply for occations where there's a direction change in the tunnel AND there's a pipe hooking onto the system at the same spot? As the Mike Pipeflow Reference Manual says on Weighted inlet levels, "For manholes with multiple inlets, the energy level is calculated as the weighted average of the inlet flows" and "due attention must be paid for cases with high inlet energy levels, e.g. a small pipe with high-velocity flow entering a large basin. In such a case, the energy level of otherwise still water in the basin would be calculated as equal to the energy level of the approaching flow, i.e. much
higher than realistic, with erroneous results as a consequence". The dimensions of the tunnel is around 3 m wide and 2 m high. Some of the inlet pipes are just 0,8 in diameter. What method should I use? Will the average of the Weighted inlet Method give a decent result, and in that case what coefficent type should I use? Note that this is in fact not a real manhole, just a junction...
Thanks for any input,
Sara