Posted Fri, 09 Jan 2009 05:04:30 GMT by Johan
Dear all,

I would like to simulate a pumping test that I have made in a fractured aquifer. The real data has been interpreted as a double porosity aquifer, [i]i.e.[/i] a medium where the fractures play a transmissive role, and the matrix a capacitive role. Hence, the flow comes first from the fractures, and then gradually from the matrix.

I am a little familiar with Feflow, and from what I have read, I have to use discrete elements to simulate fractures. Anyway, will it be possible to have both flows (fracture AND matrix) in Feflow with different hydraulic properties in the same layer ? Or will I have to superpose thin layers (one for fractures and one for matrix) ?

Any advice would be great !!!

Thanks, and all the best,

Johan  :)
Posted Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:25:17 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Using discrete elements, the fractures will be 'between' the layers (if you think about horizontal fractures). They will be reduced in the model to 2D. FEFLOW does not handle a double porosity approach, where the same layer has different properties for the fracture and matrix parts.
Posted Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:48:39 GMT by Johan
Thanks for your answer Mr. Schätzel,

If I understand correctly, a horizontal (2D) fracture inserted as a discrete element will be located along the faces of finite elements. Does that mean that this fracture will behave as an individual layer located between the upper and lower layers ? or will it be located inside (in the middle of) one layer ?

I guess I may be able to simulate matrix-fracture exchanges by inserting a horizontal fracture between two layers having the same flow properties? This would be a sort of double porosity approach, which could work. I will try.

Thanks

Johan
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:26:40 GMT by Cidem Argunhan Atalay
[quote author=Peter Schätzl link=topic=539.msg1289#msg1289 date=1231748717]
Using discrete elements, the fractures will be 'between' the layers (if you think about horizontal fractures). They will be reduced in the model to 2D. FEFLOW does not handle a double porosity approach, where the same layer has different properties for the fracture and matrix parts.
[/quote]

Dear Peter,

I try to model karstic area with FEFLOW. You allready wrote down that FEFLOW does not handle double porosity. I just wonder that if I enter the tabular data  for unsaturated media to represent double porosity, would't the results represent double porosed media. If I enter data in the attachment and use the spline model for unsaturated flow, does the results represent double porosed media ? Or do I have to define discrete elements for the karstic media everytime ?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.