Posted Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:13:08 GMT by selva191
Hi,

I am new to FEFLOW and trying to setup saltwater intrusion for variable density model with simple 2D vertical flow rectangular aquifer. I have checked out "invoke Boussinesq's approximation" box and defined density ratio as 1.025. Boundary conditions are specific head and specific concentration boundaries. However, with longitudinal dispersivity 10 m and hydraulic conductivity 44.2 m/day I cannot see any intrusion. Do I need to setup any other parameters? Please help me if there is any tutorial for this.

Thank you,
Selva
Posted Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:41:40 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Selva,
You may have a look at the Henry example which is very simplified, but based on the same principle. Let us know if you still encounter problems. Once you've installed the FEFLOW Demo Data package, you'll find the Henry benchmark in C:\Users\Public\Documents\WASY FEFLOW 6.2\demo\benchmarks\femdata\bench_henry.fem (path for Windows 7, can be different on other operating systems).
Posted Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:49:38 GMT by selva191
Peter,

Whether the seaside boundary condition for an confined aquifer should be in pressure form or head*1.025. And what should be the initial head inside if I want to my initial head to be MSL. In Henry problem why the seaside hydraulic boundary is given a linearly increasing function to 0.025. I could not understand how it represents the hydrostatic head.

Thanks,
Selva.
Posted Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:53:24 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
FEFLOW uses the concept of an 'equivalent freshwater head' where the hydraulic head is expressed in terms of an equivalent head at freshwater conditions. Thus in case of saline groundwater, hydrostatic conditions result in an equivalent freshwater head that increases linearly with depth. The same concept has to be applied to initial head throughout the model domain. So in FEFLOW 'head' never means 'saltwater head' but always 'equivalent freshwater head'.
Posted Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:23:47 GMT by selva191
Thank you! Just seen the white paper for hydraulic head boundary in density-dependent flow.

I have one more question:

How to define tidal boundary condition? Do I need to define different time series for each node of the seaside boundry since with varying time tidal water level might go below the nodes in inter tidal zone?

From previous post I have seen there is a plug-in for varying saltwater head.

http://forum.mikepoweredbydhi.com/index.php/topic,1075.0.html

Do I need to get the plug-in below or FEFLOW 6.2 included the update for the same?

Thank you,
Selva
Posted Thu, 06 Sep 2018 03:27:08 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
please answer for above question
Posted Wed, 09 Oct 2019 16:01:06 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
[quote author=selva191 link=topic=2550.msg6052#msg6052 date=1440527027]
Thank you! Just seen the white paper for hydraulic head boundary in density-dependent flow.

I have one more question:

How to define tidal boundary condition? Do I need to define different time series for each node of the seaside boundry since with varying time tidal water level might go below the nodes in inter tidal zone?

From previous post I have seen there is a plug-in for varying saltwater head.

http://forum.mikepoweredbydhi.com/index.php/topic,1075.0.html

Do I need to get the plug-in below or FEFLOW 6.2 included the update for the same?

Thank you,
Selva
[/quote]
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2019 01:44:21 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Short answer; no, you can't (at least not easily).

Long answer; you need to try and program it yourself via the IFM plugins or try to get this plug-in working properly (which is not simple).

https://forum.mikepoweredbydhi.com/index.php/topic,21058.msg27689.html#msg27689

You must be signed in to post in this forum.