Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:46:46 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Is there a pre-existing way to export a 2D model to VTK format?

Or, if anyone has done this before, how did you achieve it?

I am trying to export the mass concentration and mesh into VTK for further work. Apparently v7.1 does export VTK, but I can not see anything in the 2D menu.

Cheers
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2017 06:35:23 GMT by Björn Kaiser
You have to export a selection to VTU. Go to the [b]Selection Panel[/b] and right-click on a selection of interest. Choose [b]Export[/b] from the context menu. Please note that the current implementation exports geometrical items of the mesh only. Scalar or vector quantities are not supported yet. As a workaround, you may export the mesh as an ASCII based file and modify the file with scalar quantities (e.g. mass concentrations) you previously exported into another file your you previously retrieved via the FEFLOW API (C/C++/Python).
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2017 04:40:34 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Thanks Bjorn.

Are scalar/vector export options being worked on for a future release?
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2017 08:50:54 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Yes, that's in discussion. A decision has not been done yet. Anyway, the creation of the mesh is a good step in this direction and adding manually or automatically scalar or vecor quanitities to an existing mesh is easier than creating the mesh.
Posted Wed, 08 Aug 2018 03:39:28 GMT by Ming Zhi Wu Postdoctoral Fellow
We'd like to use Paraview more to plot Feflow model properties and results. We have tried with one model and we can see advantages in doing so. Has there been any update to whether scalar or vector data from Feflow can be written to *.vtu or *.vtk format?

Also, for model results like water levels, is the only way to export them from Feflow to Paraview is to export it as ascii (xyz) data?
Posted Wed, 08 Aug 2018 08:28:32 GMT by Björn Kaiser
There are no updates related with the VTK/VTU-writer. Accordingly, I suggest to write a FEFLOW plugin in C/C++ or to write a Python script. The file format description is quite complete:

https://www.vtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/file-formats.pdf

If you want to visualize water levels I suggest to write the pressure in the vtk-file. You may retrieve the pressure from the FEFLOW API. Here is an example in Python which shows you how to retrieve the pressure.
[font=courier][color=blue]
for node in range(0, doc.getNumberOfNodes()):
print doc.getResultsFlowPressureValue(node)
[/color]
[/font]
In Paraview, apply the contour filter (https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Beginning_Filters#Contour_filter) with a value of 0 kPa on the pressure array.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.