Posted Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:27:55 GMT by Cidem Argunhan Atalay
Hi everyone,

In FeFlow, I just started to model 2D vertical model. I have to model unsaturated flow. I have tabular data for saturation and capillary pressure head, so I will use spline approximation. The problem is I don't have any relative conductivity-saturation data. Before the FeFlow, I used another software which automatically estimates matric suction and hydraulic conductivity curve from  saturation and capillary pressure head. It uses Van-Genuchten and Fredlund-Xing methods to draw the unsaturated hydraulic curve from soil water content curve. Does FeFlow do such thing ? If not can you help me how I can calculate relative conductivity and saturation data.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2017 01:33:35 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
From the 7.1 help menu, it looks like you can use the empirical van Genuchten method as well as a few others!

http://www.feflow.info/html/help71/feflow/mainpage.htm#rhtocid=7.1.1.1.0_1&t=08_ProblemSettings%2FFlow%2Fflow_description.html%23

Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2017 07:03:56 GMT by Cidem Argunhan Atalay
Thanks a lot for the answer. I know that I can use Van genuchten method in FeFlow, what I ask is that what should I do if I have measured data. As far as I understand I can use spline models for this. The problem is I only have capillary pressure and saturation data. Does FeFlow estimate capillary pressure vs. relative conductiviy curve from the capillary pressure vs. saturation graph and saturated hydraulic conductivity ?
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2017 10:24:09 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you are interested in Spline Models you need to define both relative conductivity VS. saturation and capillary pressure head VS. saturation. Otherwise, you can use one of the empirical models as also suggested by Coastal.
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:01:54 GMT by Cidem Argunhan Atalay
thanks a lot for the answer. As far as I understand FEFLOW does not derive saturation vs. releative conductivity, I have to define myself.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.