Posted Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:34:56 GMT by Say Lee
Has any one tested the jet flow facility in MIKE3 FM in a seawater recirculation study? I'm interested in the initial dilution results from a shoreline outfall and how it performs in comparison with CORMIX results. Would the use of this considered a coupled nearfield/farfield heated effluent dispersion modeling tool?

Thanks and regards,

Say Chong
Posted Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:16:41 GMT by Poul Kronborg
Dear Say Chong,

If you use the Jet-source in MIKE 3, the program will undertake a full nearfield calculation, but the results of this calculation are not yet fully integrated into MIKE 3's farfield calculations. In the further MIKE 3 farfield calculations only the vertical position of the outlet is changed, according to the results of the nearfield calculation.

However, more results of the jet-calculation are stored in a result file, see section 6.13.2 in the MIKE 3 FLOW MODEL FM User Guide.

So at the present this does not constitute a complete nearfield/farfield integration, but we continue to work in that direction.

Best regards,

Poul Kronborg
Posted Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:30:50 GMT by Say Lee
Thanks, Poul. Yes, I read that in the Online Help, that In the further MIKE 3 farfield calculations only the vertical position of the outlet is changed, according to the results of the nearfield calculation. However, I did not realize that the jet solution output file is specified in the Source menu and not under the Main Outout menu. Thanks for that.

A follow up question is whether implicitly the jet solution will be more accurate (hence less conservative) than that of specifying a standard source with an estimated exit velocity but the nearfield dispersion, just like its far-field counterpart, will be based on the specified dispersion coefficient-based approach, even with fine resolution of the outfall configuration to resolve the flow/turbulence regime.

Would the above be a fair statement?

Say Chong
Posted Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:34:51 GMT by Poul Kronborg
I think that is correct, yes. We have not obtained the integrated near-field/far-field integration, but this Jet-source is a first step on the way.

Best regards,
Poul

You must be signed in to post in this forum.