Posted Sat, 27 Jun 2015 19:05:25 GMT by Vladimir Koutitonsky
Hello,

Has anyone tried to use MIKE21-MT for dredge plume dispersion ?  Can one follow a moving dredger ? How to set up the dredger data file ? Any examples in a report ?

Thanks a lot,

Vladimir
Posted Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:10:29 GMT by Ricardo Machado Student
Hi Vladimir,

While I have not used the Mud Transport module for dredge simulation I know it is possible to do so. When you go to the MT module you will see that there is a sub-menu called Dredging. That is where you setup your dredges. It can follow a moving dredge as long as you create a dfs0 time series file with the coordinates of the dredge during the simulation period. You must insert that file under data file and items. If you need specific help regarding the fields and options of the Dredging menu simply click F1 while you are in that menu and take a look at the help file. You can also take a look at the MT manual for more in-depth information and also there´s a step by step tutorial for this module which might interest you, although it doesn´t teach you to use the Dredging option.
For dredging simulations the Particle Tracking module is also widely used and again there are tutorials and manuals available if you need extra help for that.

Best regards,
Ricardo Machado
Posted Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:05:06 GMT by Vladimir Koutitonsky
Dear Ricardo,

Thank you for the information.

Indeed, I saw that option in MT, I understand the X,Y coordinates, but I suppose the other 2 items (rate and %spill) may have to be provided by the actual dredger ...
I'll do some tests with ficticious values and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Vladimir
Posted Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:37:18 GMT by Murali Surisetty
Dear Vladimir,

I use dredge track for all my MT simulations for dredge plume studies. As mentioned earlier, you need to create a dfs0 file with X,Y, dredge rate, Spill %.. How the rate and % are calculated is based on the sediment sieve information and dredger operational data.

If you can view the image below, I used a dredger track data (track indicated in index) where dredger operates for 18hrs with 6hrs downtime. and dredge rate of dredger is 15% sediment and 85% water.. and as a worst case scenario, I considered 20% spill to the open water to simulate.

One more import thing to do is, Use 2 layers in the MT simulation else you will get weird results. As per DHI's suggestion I use 2 layers, top soft mud layer indicating deposited sediment and hard bottom layer. I usually give thickness of top layer as 2m, enough for 7day dredge time.

[img width=200 height=101]http://s7.postimg.org/u2whztma3/dredge_Track.jpg[/img]

Happy dredging .. :)

Regards,
Murali

You must be signed in to post in this forum.