Posted Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:04:53 GMT by Alireza Vahidi
Hi everyone, I have a question, I appreciate that if some one could answer my question.
I have a long culvert(15 m) with an overflow gate at the beginning of it.( The level of gate is changing based on the water level behind the structure). I wanted to model this structure in Mike 11. I wanted to know if that is enough to use control str option (In tabular view) and define the gate and the control definitions , or I have to define the culvert separately? 
Cheers,
Posted Sat, 03 Jan 2015 13:01:17 GMT by Aurelian
Hi,

I think it's enought to use control structure. In fact, if you define the struture also as culert, you will end up with to independent culverts, one with gate and another one with free flow.  Thus, this second approach is wrong.

If you think the culvert is too long and you want to use a branch to schematize it, you have two options:
1. If entire flow passes throw this culvert, than use two close cross-sections on your branch at the start and at the begining of the culvert. Set up a control structure between this cross sections to control the discharges;
2. Use a separate branche delimitated by close cross-sections. On this branch you can place a control structure.

Good luck!

Aurelian
Posted Sun, 04 Jan 2015 00:36:12 GMT by Alireza Vahidi
Thank s for your response Aurelian.
Do you think it is necessary to define weir for the close cross section(in case of  over topping)?
cheers.
Posted Sun, 04 Jan 2015 08:23:54 GMT by Aurelian
Can you, please, describe with further details the structure you want to model? It would be also helpful to attach a schema or a picture. Anyway, if the water can overtop the structure you need a weir to simulate this.

Regards,
Aurelian
Posted Mon, 05 Jan 2015 05:48:43 GMT by Alireza Vahidi
Thanks for your response.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.