Posted Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:30:21 GMT by Luca Fabris
Hi

I am using Ecolab to model river water temperature. The heat balance is given by a sum of several preocesses. Each process is driven by a forcing variable which has his own unit.Some forcing varables such as "short wave radiation" represent a rate [J/(m2 s)] so Ecolab can adapt the equation to the time step. Others such as "temperature" do not represent any rate [C] and they can therefore be affected by time step. So my question is: in this second case how can my model understand if my final flux (process) will be for example in J/(m2 s) or J/(m2 h)?

Thanks
Posted Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:33:01 GMT by Michael Potthoff
Hi Luca

I assume you Refer to the WQLevel_xy set of templates. Here "Temperature" is a state variable in [°C]. Proces modifying a state varibale must be given in a "per day" base in ECOLab, i.e. in this case the process "Rad_in" and "Rad_out" must be in [°C/day]. This requires that the constants "Emax" and "Eaf" are given in [kJ/m2/d]. There is no Automatic conversion of units when using ECOLab.

Please note that if the M11-heat balance module is enabled, both (the template intern and the M11) heatbalance will be in effect.

Michael

You must be signed in to post in this forum.