Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:51:06 GMT by bailey305
Hi, I'm trying to couple MIKE SHE with MIKE 11 to run Ecolab water quality simulations for overland flow. But I seem to have trouble running the WQ simulation after the WM simulation in MIKE SHE. The main steps I did are:

(1) Under "WQ Simulation Specification" for MIKE SHE, I included the option for Overland Flow among others
(2) Under "Rivers and Lakes" for MIKE SHE, I specified a River Simulation File (.sim11). Under this file (accessed from "Edit", which opens up the file in MIKE 11), I specified "Hydrodynamic" under the "Models" tab, as well as the filename where the HD results are to be stored in the "Results" tab
(3) For the River Simulation File for Water Quality, I specified the same .sim11 file as in Step 2, except that "Advection-Dispersion" and "Ecolab" are also checked under the "Models" tab (i.e. copied the same file as in Step 2 but added the water quality components, as well as the requisite input parameters and where the WQ output file is to be stored).
(4) I ran preprocessing and then the WM simulation, which completed successfully.
(5) However, when I subsequently tried to run the WQ simulation, the simulation terminated and the error message was "MIKE 11 cannot read the HD result file".

Can you advise me on how to resolve this issue? The .sim11 file in Step 3 is pointing towards the HD result file specified in Step 2, so it should be able to access the results, but I'm not sure why I got this error message. Thank you so much for the help!
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:59:04 GMT by Douglas Graham
Did you check to make sure that the Results recycling is turned off?
Look under WQ Simulation Period. You need to make sure that the "No recycling..." option is selected.
Regards,
Douglas
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:05:05 GMT by bailey305
Hi Douglas, thanks for the reply! Yes, I did select the option for "No recycling on Flow Results" under WQ Simulation Period in MIKE SHE. Is there some other cause for the problem I encountered? 
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:24:05 GMT by Douglas Graham
Hi,
I have two suggestions:
1. Did you save the WQ results in the MSHE WM simulation? This should be automatic if the WQ is turned on in MSHE, but may be turned off. There is a check box in the Storing of Results dialog. 
2. Did you turn on WQ in all the model components? MSHE is limited in the number of allowed combinations for WQ. This needs to be done before you run the WM, to ensure that all the proper WM components are saved.

Regards,
Douglas
Posted Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:02:10 GMT by bailey305
Hi Douglas,

Yes, the WQ results in the MSHE simulation are saved under Storing of Results dialog (Storing of input data for WQ simulation -> store all flow data). I have also turned on WQ in all the model components (in this case OL, River and SZ) except the UZ, which I have used the 2-layer UZ option for WM and so therefore is not applicable for the WQ simulation.

I have tried turning on the AD and Ecolab model components on the "Models" tab of the .sim11 file before running the WM simulation. However when I did that, the error message during pre-processing was "cannot initialise Mike 11".

Therefore, I copied the .sim11 file, and used the first without the AD and Ecolab components turned on (i.e. just the HD component) as the "river simulation file", and the second with the AD and Ecolab components turned on as the "river simulation file for water quality". There were no errors in this case during pre-processing or the WM simulation, but when I tried to run the WQ simulation after the WM simulation (I had earlier specified using current WM simulation under "Simulation Specifications"), I got the error message as stated earlier, when MSHE is trying to load the M11 dll, i.e. "Mike 11 cannot read the HD results file".

Any other possible reasons behind the error and ways to resolve it? Many thanks for your help!
Posted Thu, 11 May 2017 09:46:59 GMT by Douglas Graham
Hi,
I don't have any magic solution. But, I would suggest trying to narrow the problem down.
I assume that MSHE WM and M11 work find together without the AD.
If so, then I would start by verifying each of the components individually.
1. check that MSHE AD works by itself with all the components turned on (no WQ in M11)
2. check that MSHE AD with Ecolab works (no WQ in M11)
3. check that MSHE AD and M11 AD work together (no ECOLab).
4. check that MSHE AD + Ecolab is working with M11 AD (no ECOLab in M11)
5. check that MSHE AD is working with M11 AD + Ecolab (no EcoLab in MSHE)
etc (skip steps that are not relevant).
The idea is to narrow the failure down to a precise combination that fails.

Now,one thing to be aware of is that you cannot run MSHE WQ + Ecolab and M11 WQ + Ecolab at the same time.
You can only run one instance of EcoLab at a time.

Regards,
Douglas

You must be signed in to post in this forum.