Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2016 16:46:37 GMT by Christiannis
Hi there
Does anyone know how to convert an existing MIKE SHE model to MODFLOW format?

A quick search on Google shows that, apparently, it is an option. However, I have had problems figuring out how to do it...
I already have a MIKE SHE model available for my area, but unfortunately it doesn't work with the MODFLOW-package I need to run. Hence it would save me some time, not having to built up a new model from scratch.

/Christian
Posted Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:14:28 GMT by Douglas Graham
Hi Christian,
In all cases that I have been involved in, it is from MODFLOW to MSHE. Even in this case, it is relatively infrequent because most people prefer to rebuild the models from the original data.

The ease of conversion from MSHE to MODFLOW will really depend on if you are using a GUI, or not - and which GUI.
1. Properties: if your GUI supports shp file imports, then you can export all of your property maps to a shp file by right clicking on the map in Pre-processed tab.
2. Boundaries:  boundary conditions are more difficult because these are model specific. For example, there is way to convert a M11 model to the MODFLOW stream package.
3. Time series: MODFLOW uses stress periods and the GUIs handle time series in different ways. So, it is probably better to simply re-import rainfall, pumping rates, etc directly into the new model.

I realize this is not a great help. 

Regards,
douglas

You must be signed in to post in this forum.