Posted Mon, 15 Jun 2020 22:50:05 GMT by Jake Kurzweil PhD Candidate,
Hi there,

New user here so I apologize if this is trivial. I am trying to import a DEM I have as a raster. I converted it to a .asc file in Arc and then to a .dfs2 file using the grid2mike tool. The issue I am having is, when I try to import this new file I am able to select my file, but when I look at the select item panel, for elevation it says no valid items and I can not click okay. I am however able to open the new .dfs2 file from my explorer and it looks to be accurate. Did I miss a specification when I was creating the file?

Best,

Jake
Posted Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:36:34 GMT by Jake Kurzweil PhD Candidate,
To anyone who is interested I found a solution.

For what ever reason when I create the .dfs2 file using the grid2mike tool box, it does not really give the file all that it needs, specifically it does not give it an item. Maybe I am just doing it wrong, so if someone knows something I don't please let me know. To fix this I opened the created .dfs2 file directly from my explorer. This opens the file in a MIKE zero editor. I hit edit->items, then under type I selected elevation for type and meter for unit.

I am also running into some strange things where sometimes a file will not be recognized saying it is an improper name. Sometime restarting the program can solve this, but other times it does not.

Best,

Jake
Posted Wed, 17 Jun 2020 05:41:01 GMT by Sebastian Gürke M. Sc.
Hey,

[quote author=jkurzweil link=topic=21985.msg29062#msg29062 date=1592321794]
For what ever reason when I create the .dfs2 file using the grid2mike tool box, it does not really give the file all that it needs, specifically it does not give it an item. Maybe I am just doing it wrong, so if someone knows something I don't please let me know. To fix this I opened the created .dfs2 file directly from my explorer. This opens the file in a MIKE zero editor. I hit edit->items, then under type I selected elevation for type and meter for unit.
[/quote]

As far as i know, thats the "normal" way to do this. The reason is, that MIKE simply doesn't know what kind of data the values of the asc-file represent. Im using asc-Files and Grid2Mike to import spatially distributed rain patterns, so the item should be precipitation height rather than elevation or anything else.

Greetings,
Sebastian
Posted Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:16:43 GMT by Jake Kurzweil PhD Candidate,
Thanks Sebastian,

That makes sense. I later found this in one of the manuals. That makes sense, just needed to do a little more digging.

Do you have any experience creating .dfs0 files for precipitation using the batch conversion? I am trying to import my simple one station rain fall data, but when I use that tool it just kind of stops on the page where you define what rows define type/value/name. As in, if I click next nothing happens, I can click back or cancel, which doesn't really help. I am sure this is a simple mistake as well.

Best,

Jake
Posted Fri, 02 Oct 2020 08:36:02 GMT by Ayla Beyglu
Hello
In the toolbar at the top of your dfs2 file, click on the edit ---> items----> select type of your data

You must be signed in to post in this forum.