Posted Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:22:00 GMT by dvb
This year I decided to start using the open source solution QGis instead of ArcGIS (ArcMap), in such a way to reduce my financial dependance of expensive softwares. Actually QGIS is just great and even if it doesn't seems to do everything that does ArcGIS, it does things that ArcGIS doesn't do or doesn't do easily. Here are some examples of useful that does QGis:
- I used to transform my iso-lines into points and use those points to interpolate my ascii grids with surfer. With QGIS you can use directly the lines or lines+points. They are several output formats available. Triangulation method only, which is nonetheless sufficient when a lot of data are available.
- split a X-Y-SLICE-F shapefile into as many shapefiles that you have SLICES, in just a mouse click
- perform the usual querry and calculations on a shapefile
- perform SURFER type of Grid maths (like slice1 elevation - slice 2 elevation, etc)
- transform a grid into an imprehensive choice of formats
- very convenient way of georeferencing a raster
- easy to browse catalog of coordinate systems
- easy to browse catalog of WMS coverages
- motivated community of users
- lot of extensions available for free, lots of updates and new extensions frequently coming out
- exciting development to come, like 3D viewers and more incorporation of GRASS tools

It's easy to learn when you are confortable with GIS technologies. So don't hesitate !
Posted Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:17:00 GMT by Jose Pedro Rebes Lima
Thanks for this post, I was on the same kind of questions. Do you know if it's possible and simple to do 3D kriging in Q-GIS? As far I know is not possible in Arcmap without buying an extra software as Target for GIS.

Cheers,
Robin
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2011 07:32:00 GMT by dvb
It seems that both GRASS and R packages may offer solutions to perform 3D kriging, but nothing obvious here.
Posted Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:23:00 GMT by tlange
Hi,

Some time ago I was looking for 3D kriging in R, which was impossible that time. Is it now?

Otherwise Gslib could do it also. However, I had problems with the Gslib-Version from the book of Deutsch as well. Luckily I have an alternative (Gocad).

But, anyone knows a free "home" solution...?

Torsten

You must be signed in to post in this forum.