Posted Thu, 15 Dec 2016 05:40:09 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
I am trying to select every node below a supermesh line, yet can't find any means to do so via the expression editor!

Surely there's a way to do it?!

For example; I have a line which has a slight curve along the length, which has been included in the meshing stage. I want to select every node below that particular line. I can't simply use the expression editor and select every node below a particular 'y' as this will miss sections of the line.

Posted Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:59:51 GMT by Björn Kaiser
The [b]Select by Expression[/b] editor is rather related with attribute selections. For me it seems you are interested in spatial selections. Please go to the [b]Maps[/b] panel and double-click on the line of the Supermesh. After that, please choose [b]Select by Map Line[/b] from [b]Selection[/b] toolbar. Enter a snapping distance of interest and click on the button [b]Select by All Map Geometries[/b]. If you are interested in selecting nodes which are aligned with the line you need to keep a small snapping distance, because of round-off errors (e.g. 0.1 m).
Posted Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:15:48 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Thanks Bjorn - I am able to select the map-line itself, no worries, but I need to select nodes *below* that line....!
Posted Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:30:27 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you are able to select the nodes along the trace of the line within a specific slice and if you want to select nodes with the same XY coordinates in the slice beneath I suggest to use the button [b]Copy Selection to Slices/Layers[/b] from the [b]Selection toolbar[/b].
Posted Thu, 16 Feb 2017 06:57:57 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Sorry for delay - The problem is 2D, so unless I've totally just missed it, there's no Copy Selection button...
Posted Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:19:12 GMT by Björn Kaiser
No worries. I guess I misunderstood you. Therefore, I would like to ask you a few questions:

Do you want to select nodes of the FE-mesh along a line?
Do you want to select edges of the FE-mesh along a line?
Do you want to select vertices of a Supermesh line?
Do you want to select a line of a Supermesh?

Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2017 00:00:33 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Thanks Bjorn - I think I was just describing my problem very poorly...!

Hopefully this image works;

[img width=200 height=71]http://i.imgur.com/bYcMsER.png[/img]

Assuming all of these boundaries are defined in supermesh, I want to select the region indicated in blue, from the 'complex boundary' to the 'bottom of model'.

The idea being that, complex geometries or boundaries presented by different geological facies can be selected and adjusted.
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:03:49 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Thank you for your description.

The easiest way is to design the the three different zones you show in your picture by three different polygons in your Supermesh rather than using a single polygon with two lines delineating the trace of the internal interfaces of between the zones. Use the Supermesh to generate your 2D FE-mesh. If you want to select geometrical items (e.g. nodes) which are located within a specific zone (e.g. you blue zone) I suggest to make a selection based on the polygon you are interested in.

Go to the [b]Maps Panel[/b] and double click on Polygons. After that, please [b]Select by Map Polygon[/b] provided by the [b]Selection Panel[/b] and choose the geometrical item you are interested in. Assure a snapping distance of 0 m. Finally, you can select the nodes within the Slice View.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.