Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2017 13:37:40 GMT by Joscha Schelhorn FEFLOW-Anwender
Hello

I have a Modell where some top layer pinch out. I would like to import the elevation data of the layers as a shapefile and link my data with "link to parameter" to each layer.
I understand how pinchout work manually and I can link my elevation but then the minimum layer thickness is set to 0.1 by feflow.

How do I have to prepare my input data, that feflow understands that where the value is NA the layer pinches out?
Example of my data:

x-coord; y-coord; elev; Slice
xxxxx;yyyyy; NA; 1
xxxxx;yyyyy; NA; 1
xxxxx;yyyyy; NA; 1
xxxxx;yyyyy; 100; 2
xxxxx;yyyyy; 103; 2
xxxxx;yyyyy; 106; 2
xxxxx;yyyyy; 150; 3
xxxxx;yyyyy; 183; 3
xxxxx;yyyyy; 196; 3

or is there another way to do this?
Appreciate your help
Thank you

Josch
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2017 07:07:13 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Pinchouts are not represented by NAN. Instead, you have to use always the attributed Z-elevations from the point shapefile. Pinchouts arise in those locations where two or more spots of slices spatially intersect. If you link your Z-values from the shapefile to the elevations in FEFLOW via a Parameter Link it will not work. Instead, you have to transfer the elevations to the slice using the 3D Layer configurator. You may simply drag & drop the shapefile from the Maps Panel to the Slice of interest in the 3D Layer Configurator. After you transfered all elevations you have to confirm by clicking on the OK button. If intersections are present, FEFLOW will ask you how you want to treat them. You have the following options:
[list]
[li]Enforce a minimum distance between slices[/li]
[li]Remesh the pinched and invalud elements[/li]
[li]Remesh the complete layer(s) containing pinhced elements[/li]
[li]Remesh the complete meshs[/li]
[/list]
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2017 12:28:40 GMT by Joscha Schelhorn FEFLOW-Anwender
Thank you very much for your quick response.

I solved my problems with your hints.

I replaced the NA in my layers with the top elevation. This causes the intersections and FEFLOW asks how I want to treat them. I took

-Remesh the pinched and invalid elements

and of corse I had to save each layer as a shapefile and drag and drop it into the 3D Layer Configurator.

Works fine. By the was there are two imformative videos on youtube. Search for pinch out and unstructured meshing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqECD88xK1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz7T04dc7xI

thanks and greetings

Josch
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2017 08:35:17 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Thanks Josch
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2017 11:57:48 GMT by Joscha Schelhorn FEFLOW-Anwender
I have another question about the file format for faults when I do unstructured meshing.

I watched this informative Webinar: Webinar on unstructured meshing in FEFLOW 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz7T04dc7xI
( Fault min 5 to 6 )

I am able to reproduce the example but I don't get a vertical fault because feflow is interpolating.

They are importing a dat file for the fault. I guess there are taking the elevation of the top layer for one side of the fault for the model area and the elevation of the bottom layer on the other side of the fault. ( thats what I did)

I am wondering what value gets the fault line itself? The value of the top layer or bottom layer?
I also tried two parallel fault line with a minimum distance one with the top elevation and one with the bottom elevation but this neighter solve my problem. 

Or is the problem the mesh? Maybe my mesh is not fine enough but this would only smooth the fault as well.
Or can I omit the interpolation?

Maybe someone can provide a sample dat file, which makes it easy to understand the data structure :-) 

Thank you for your help and have a nice weekend.

Josch
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:59:03 GMT by Björn Kaiser
The dat-file contains elevations to be interpolated on the slice to represent an inclined fault. The file has the followin structure:

Id X Y Z
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:13:16 GMT by Joscha Schelhorn FEFLOW-Anwender
Thank you, for the answer.

Actually I knew that the dat file has a xyz structure.

But I was wondering how exatly I have to enter the xyz values the get a vertical fault line in unstructured meshing.

do I have to give only the fault dat file values for the whole model area? or only at the fault line?

I also don`t understand what z value the fault line itself gets because it actually has 2 z values.

How is this handled?

A example file would be perfect to understand the data structure.

Appreciate your help

Greetings

Josch
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2017 06:41:32 GMT by Björn Kaiser
The top and bottom lines are represented by add-ins of the Supermesh, while the dat-file contains points for the whole fault area.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2017 14:40:16 GMT by Joscha Schelhorn FEFLOW-Anwender
Ok I still can't solve my unstructured supermesh.

Therefore I created a simple example.
I have these 3 layers.
Layer1 is the bottom elevation
layer2 is the  top elevation
layer3 is the fault layer which divides the area in 2 parts

layer1
"x","y","z"

layer2
"x","y","z"

layer3
"x","y","z"

In Feflow i create a supermesh and load the data into the maps panel. Then I open 3D Layer Configuration and I import the layers.

It works but the fault line is not a vertical line. How do I have to prepare my data that I get a vertical line?
feflow always interpolates and that is not what Í want.

I hope my example is clear.

Thank you for your help

Joscha

Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:28:12 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Your question seems to be data specific. I suggest to contact the FEFLOW Support? https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/support

You must be signed in to post in this forum.