Posted Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:24:23 GMT by Valentin Max Schweizer Student
Hi everyone  :)

is it possible to use the random walk method to analyse the flowpaths in a groundwater flow model with discrete feature elements as fractures?
I mean, can the particles be displayed also in the discrete feature elements in the 3D view after running the model?

Thank you so much for your help,
Valentin96
Posted Thu, 21 Oct 2021 05:18:21 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
The discrete feature elements will lead to an increased flow velocity at the nodes shared with the 3D mesh. In detail depending on the velocity interpolation used in FEFLOW, typically the tracks will not run IN the DF, but parallel to them in the matrix elements. This means that their tracks are approximately OK, but flow times will not be (as they are based on matrix properties).
Posted Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:21:09 GMT by Valentin Max Schweizer Student
Thank you for your reply!
I am using the DF in combination with Dual Node Connectors (DNC). Therefore the tracks of the particles running through the DF are not shown in the matrix elements. Is there a way to show the tracks of the particles running through the DF in spite of the DNC?
Posted Mon, 25 Oct 2021 06:35:30 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
I don't have much experience with the DNC, especially when it comes to particle tracking - so I do not know whether they follow the DNCs and the DFs. If this has not been explicitly added to the particle tracking scheme, I would expect that the particles in this case do not see the DF/DNC velocities.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.