Posted Thu, 08 Oct 2015 08:52:41 GMT by selva191
Hi,

I am modelling a simple 3D geometry with slope. I can develop the 3D mesh in two ways

i) If I draw the initial 2D slice with slope and develop 3D layer configuration in transverse(horizontal) direction I cannot model multilayer well. I can fix my gravity in negative y direction. But, if I select the top slice and copy the selection to all layers, it selects nodes in transverse horizontal direction instead of nodes in vertical direction.
ii) I can have my 2D slice as rectangle and develop 3D layer such that gravity is in negative z direction. After that I can import the elevation for all slice to create slope. But it is very tedious process.

Is there any easier method to develop 3D mesh in FEFLOW or can I model 3D model using some other software like solid works and importing it to FEFLOW. Kindly, advise me.

Thanks,
Selva

Posted Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:04:20 GMT by Björn Kaiser
[b]i) If I draw the initial 2D slice with slope and develop 3D layer configuration in transverse(horizontal) direction I cannot model multilayer well. I can fix my gravity in negative y direction. But, if I select the top slice and copy the selection to all layers, it selects nodes in transverse horizontal direction instead of nodes in vertical direction.[/b]
Yes, you are right, if you copy a selection you copy the selection to other slices. If the gravity vector is orientated in negative y-direction a copied nodal selection is subsequently orientated in transversal (horizontal direction). Technically, a Multilayer Well is composed of a 1D Discrete Feature (DF) plus a WellBC at the base of the model. In principle, instead using the “classical” MLW Boundary Condition (BC) you could also assign a DF and a MLW BC manually.

[b]ii) I can have my 2D slice as rectangle and develop 3D layer such that gravity is in negative z direction. After that I can import the elevation for all slice to create slope. But it is very tedious process.[/b]
If the data are externally prepared you do not have a tedious process. You may quickly assign all elevations for different slices at once. Please have a look on our Demonstration Exercise Chapter II.3.4: http://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/-/media/A1279D59B7E04E1888ADDC9C8A7AC65A.ashx 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.