Please wait...

Error

Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:13:07 GMT by Stefano
Hi,

I have a simple question. Can I put an Observation point in the same node of a pumping well?
Because I saw that if i put an Observation point in the same node of the pumping well the resul is very bad but if i put the Observation point near the pumping well (for near I mean few nodes away, about 3) the result is very good, like a real acquifer test.

Thanks
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:26:19 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Stefano,
the head at the well node highly depends on mesh discretization. The result will only be realistic if the element size corresponds to an 'ideal element size'. FEFLOW can show the latter for multi-layer wells (FEFLOW 6.1). If the mesh is coarser than that, you will obtain a higher head than expected (and realistic), if the mesh is finer you'll get a lower head. So if your mesh does not consider the 'ideal element size' it might be better to use an observation point that is a bit away from the well.
Peter
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:01:01 GMT by Stefano
Thanks Peter,

What about the "Ideal element size". How can i know what is the better size for my model?
I'm using FEFLOW 6.1

Stefano
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:09:06 GMT by Stefano
Peter
I forgot to ask you, is there a maximum rate for a well?

Stefano
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:53:08 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Hi Stefano,

There is no limit on the maximum rate for a well, at least not technically. When you put unrealistic high amounts, you're likely to face stability issues in the simulation.

Bastian

You must be signed in to post in this forum.