Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2011 00:21:23 GMT by James Ward
Hi,

Has anyone attempted variable-density thermohaline modeling in FEFLOW 6.0?

I have set up a simple model attempting to simulate the injection of freshwater into saltwater. In Mass Transport Mode, the model shows density-dependent flow effects, however if I try to set up the same model in Thermohaline Transport mode (even with no Heat BCs set), the solute-dependent density effect disappears! If I introduce Heat parameters (BCs etc) I see density effects due to temperature, but not due to solute. Thus it appears that the density coupling is only responding to temperature in thermohaline transport mode.

Cheers,
James.
Posted Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:48:12 GMT by Julia Mayer
Hi James,

one possible explanation for missing density effects due to solute would be if you had defined the same value for both reference concentrations Co and Cs.
In this case, though, you shouldn't see any density effects in the mass transport model, either, so I am not sure whether this is the real reason for the behavior that you describe.
To identify the problem it would be great if you could send your thermohaline transport model to support@dhi-wasy.de so we can check all the settings in detail.

Thanks,
Julia

You must be signed in to post in this forum.