Posted Wed, 22 Feb 2017 13:47:58 GMT by Luis Serrano Geologist
Hi,

Fisrt I create a 3D structured model, after i select some elements and remeshed these elements with TetGen
Is it advisable to use unstructured and structured elements in a model (attached image)?, It affects the stability of the model?

Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:39:31 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If your model domain has only local discontinuities, you may use partially unstructured meshes. Re-mesh only parts of the domain which are characterized by discontinuities. If other spatial parts of the model domain have a layered geometry, then there is no need to re-mesh it. If you keep 3D prismatic elements for layered based geometries you still have the possibility to work within the Slice View.

Of course, other geometrical settings of the mesh may have a different convergence behavior of the equation solver. As always, you need to assure a mesh with a good quality. Some quantitative indicators are provided within the Auxiliary Data section of the Data Panel.
Posted Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:49:56 GMT by Luis Serrano Geologist
Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:46:18 GMT by Luis Serrano Geologist
Can I keep a face selection or a discrete feature, after remeshed by TetGen?, I try to do it, but the discrete feature was deleted.
Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2017 09:38:33 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Yes, you can book-keep face selections if you re-mesh your model. Face-selections are stored in the [b]Selection Panel[/b]. You can drop the face selection of interest from the [b]Selection Panel[/b] to [b]Mesh Items[/b] in the [b]From Element Selection[/b] section of the [b]Meshing Panel[/b]. FEFLOW will consider these faces as 3D Add-ins.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.