Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:01:48 GMT by uqjzhang
Dear FEFLOW developers

Currently if I smooth the mesh, I will have trouble later on when using selection functions such as "select by map polygon" or "select by map line". It is natural (often important) to keep these geometries information in our final meshes. Smoothing the mesh is important to get a numerically-reliable model, but often times I have to skip this step just to keep a good presentation of my model output, e.g. to keep the river straight, to avoid the zigzap of the zone boudaries.

So it is really important for me to have a function that keeps nodes on polygon boundaries and/or lines UNMOVED when I smooth the mesh.

Cheers

Ji
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:59:09 GMT by Julia Mayer
Hello Ji,

this functionality is already available in FEFLOW 6.1. The smoothing operation will only shift the currently selected nodes and honor the original position of nodes which are not part of the current selection.
An effective workflow is to select all nodes along polygon borders/lines etc. which you would like to keep at their original position and then invert the selection before you start the smoothing operation.

Julia
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 00:43:34 GMT by uqjzhang
[quote author=Julia Mayer link=topic=1344.msg3313#msg3313 date=1355385549]
Hello Ji,

this functionality is already available in FEFLOW 6.1. The smoothing operation will only shift the currently selected nodes and honor the original position of nodes which are not part of the current selection.
An effective workflow is to select all nodes along polygon borders/lines etc. which you would like to keep at their original position and then invert the selection before you start the smoothing operation.

Julia
[/quote]

Thanks Julia. I just read about the new features of v6.1 and found something called "selective mesh smoothing", should be the new function I am hoping for.

This raised another issue:

I just download v6.1 and installed on my computer, now I have a license issue. We have two network licenses (unlimited) purchased in 2010. When I connect the server and the licenses are still there, but I could not apply. The license version is still v6.0x. I am pretty sure our licenses are unlimited and should not be limited to a certain FEFLOW version.

Could you please advise me how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Ji

You must be signed in to post in this forum.