Posted Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:20:51 GMT by Rapheul Liu CUMT
Dear there,

Hallo!
I am trying to set up a complex GW model with 6 aquifers. I would like to spilt each layer into different  subdomains. which means that, each aquifer has a unique parameter distribution. Then I could assign K or Ss, etc. accordingly. For example, slice 1 has 7 sub polygons to be assigned while slice 2 or 3.. has a totally different 10 or more polygons.And of course the shapes of those polygons will be different.  Could anybody here help to discribe how to realize that? I splited the top slice and then all the slices and layers below are the same distribution as the top one. but I would make them different.

There are another two additional questions. When dealing with the mining layers, how should I define those mining seams within a GW model? establish a single layer as aquitard or ? and what about fault? Has anyone done such modelling before?

Thanks a lot for your concerning!

rapheul

Posted Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:40:38 GMT by Sunderaey
The following post is interesting too.
Posted Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:12:06 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Regarding your property zones, I suggest to make the element selections in a Slice View. You may either select manually or you may [b]Select by Map Polygon[/b] (Selection Toolbar).

After you selected the elements copy the selection to all other layers you wish to have the same zone by using the [b]Copy Selection to Slices/Layers[/b] (Selection Toolbar).

Repeat these steps for all other layers separately, which have different parameter zones.

Regarding the other two questions, you may represent open-pit mines by using inactive elements. Faults may be represented either by Discrete Feature (DF’s) or by a full discretization.
Posted Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:24:23 GMT by Rapheul Liu CUMT
Thanks a lot ! Björn,

You gave me a very inspiring idea for the first question. I tried it on Feflow, yes, manually selection does work. But when I click [b]Selection by Map Polygon[/b], as I described, affter generation of supermesh, shape or distribution of the slices or layers below are exactly the same with the top slice that you splitted before mesh generation. Can I assign or change the 2nd or the 3rd...slice polygon distributions after mesh generation? I have different background maps for each slice with different polygons shapes(or layers). The first step is you need to design the supermesh with your map.  but it only allows you to do this with one map, when you add another map, you are not able to split it after you have done on the first map. Could you please tell me how to solve this? Though manually of course you could finish your different selections roughly, I wonder if it is possible when you have a more accurate selection accordingly.
For the other two questions, I am not so familiar with DF’s . It would be better if there are demo examples. 
Again, many thanks for your kind help!
Regards

rapheul

[quote author=Björn Kaiser link=topic=2296.msg5243#msg5243 date=1416424326]
Regarding your property zones, I suggest to make the element selections in a Slice View. You may either select manually or you may [b]Select by Map Polygon[/b] (Selection Toolbar).

After you selected the elements copy the selection to all other layers you wish to have the same zone by using the [b]Copy Selection to Slices/Layers[/b] (Selection Toolbar).

Repeat these steps for all other layers separately, which have different parameter zones.

Regarding the other two questions, you may represent open-pit mines by using inactive elements. Faults may be represented either by Discrete Feature (DF’s) or by a full discretization.
[/quote]

You must be signed in to post in this forum.