Posted Wed, 03 Oct 2018 07:03:12 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
I'm clearly missing something with regards to using plugins.

I'd just like to set the Saltwater Head boundary to a time-varying condition. The plug-in instructions are quoted below.

[quote]This plug-in sets equivalent freshwater head boundary conditions based on time series for the saltwater head. It assumes that the concentration at the boundary is the maximum concentration Cs.

In a nodal reference distribution "VaryingSaltwaterHead" set:

all nodes without saltwater bc to be set via the plug-in: value <=0
all nodes with saltwater bc: value = time-series id for time-series containing saltwater head curve
The plug-in modifies the boundary conditions before each time step as follows:

Saltwater head >= elevation: freshwater head = saltwater head + density ratio * (saltwater head - elevation)
(density ratio is average of all elements surrounding the node)
Saltwater head < elevation: seepage face bc (h = elevation, minQ = 0)[/quote]

My questions are:
1. What is a 'nodal reference distribution' and how does one 'set' it
2. Can anyone supply an example where this plugin has worked?
Posted Thu, 04 Oct 2018 06:19:23 GMT by Peter Schätzl
What used to be called 'Reference Distribution' is now in 'User Data' in the FEFLOW GUI. So a 'nodal reference distribution' is a nodal User Data distribution that you can set up with a user-defined name (you need to use 'VaryingSaltwaterHead' in this case). Such User Data distributions are often used for plug-ins as they are an easy way of defining data in FEFLOW not belonging to the standard set of parameters. In the plug-in, the identification of the distribution is done by name, which is why you need to use the name mentioned in the instructions.

Please note that the plug-ins that are not part of the FEFLOW distribution come without any warranty. They typically have been created on basis of a project need in our own consulting work or by support staff quickly responding to an urgend client need. So they are usually not as thoroughly and formally  tested as the software itself is. Regarding a model example: I'm sure I had done a simple one at the time I coded the plug-in in order to ensure the applicability, but I haven't kept it. Thus I recommend you do your own little box model in order to understand the plug-in functionality.
Posted Thu, 04 Oct 2018 09:00:50 GMT by Alex Costall PhD Student
Thanks Peter. I did get to the User Data part, but didn't manage to get any further.

I'll try again soon and perhaps write a small tutorial, or something similar!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.