Posted Thu, 15 May 2008 16:02:20 GMT by Steven Cone ARCADIS
Forum,

I have many superelements for which i want to refine around the edges of, and therefore many many superelement edges. Unfortunately I have a few very large superelements near the boundary of the model for which I do not want the edges refined as this pushes up my node count unneccessarily.

You can select to refine around all or selected superelement edges.

Does anyone know of how to select all edges so i can just deselect the ones I do not want refined? Or whether it is possible to select all elements within a box or polygon or something like that?

Steve
Posted Thu, 22 May 2008 15:39:10 GMT by Boris Lyssenko
This is currently not possible, you'd have to select all element edges for refinement.
Posted Mon, 26 May 2008 18:24:11 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Hey Steve,

I just finished a great mesh building exercise myself, and here is an idea that I used to get refinements into my model without having to do it manually in FeFlow/GridBuilder.

Define the refinement in your GIS and import the already refined super-elements into FeFlow.

I know, that sounds easy in theory, and is a little tricky in practice. But it works.

Here is roughly how I did it.
1) Defined my model domain
2) Defined "cut-lines" which were later used to cut the domain into super-elements
3) Refined the cut-lines where necessary
4) Cut the model domain into super-elements (which preserved the refinement)
5) Imported those super-elements to FeFlow via the super-mesh import filter

In step 3) I used a script that iterates through selected lines and adds extra vertices along the lines to define the refinement. That's probably the trickiest part. I can provide the script for the GIS Manifold.

How does that sound?

Chris

PS: The screenshot shows part of the mesh. You can see how there are different refinements defined along the model border and the red vs. the blue lines.
Posted Tue, 27 May 2008 13:43:29 GMT by Steven Cone ARCADIS
Very nice!

The GIS method sounds fairly complicated, but a nice result.

In the end I created the mesh by extracting a point from the supermesh in GIS every 50 m, selecting the ones along lines a needed to refine along and importing these points to the mesh generator for refining around. This works quite nicely, considering that I have a de-watering wells drilled upwards from the mine artery tunnels and main gates every 50 m or so.

Any ideas how you can import boundary condition constraints? its possible to import the seepage nodes, but not the constraints as far as I can see.

Anyone know of any way of doing this? It will save me a lot of clicks as the model is not rubber-box shaped.

Cheers,

Steve
Posted Tue, 27 May 2008 14:29:09 GMT by Christopherus Braun
You can join boundary condition constraints (same procedure as for the Boundary conditions).
If you want to set both, min and max constraints you have to do the joining twice.

Does that not work?
Posted Tue, 27 May 2008 15:16:24 GMT by Steven Cone ARCADIS
Zebra,

Thanks - im sorry I dont think I was as clear with my problem as I could have been.

I can import the boundary condition constraint (max or min) and provided this was constant throughout the model period this would be fine.

Ideally I would like to import the number of the time-varying function ID for blocks of nodes in order to set up the transient model, otherwise I may have to run the model as many smaller period consecutive models.

Have you had any experience of this?

Cheers,

Steve

Posted Tue, 27 May 2008 17:19:47 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala

In a transient model, it should be possible to assign power fxns as BCs the same way as with const. values in a steady state model. The field you link would be the power fxn ID. You pbly have to make sure the power fxns get defined in FeFlow first, otherwise it might default to a const. value. I'm pretty sure my colleague did that recently .... Chris

You must be signed in to post in this forum.