Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:05:08 GMT by Dejan Sram
Hello,

I have a question regarding the setup of a coupled models MIKE11 and FeFlow with ifmM11.

I will model an unconfined alluvial aquifer which is in strong connection with the river (around 50% recharge and even more discharge). Riverbed has lower conductivity (transfer rate, conductance) than the aquifer.

I have already a very good model for the river in MIKE11 and will use it in FeFlow model. My question is:

how to create a 3D model of an aquifer and a river with lower riverbed conductivity in FeFlow which is going to be coupled with MIKE11.

1. do I need a separate layer of the river because of different conductivity? I presume yes, otherwise if I have only one layer and if I use Fluid-Transfer BC and a different transfer rate then I will get vertical barrier through the whole aquifer (model), right? How could I set up the second layer only around the river (some kind of buffer?)
2. I should use Fluid-transfer BC and  [b]In-transfer rate and Out-transfer rate (both?)[/b] where I put transfer rate for the riverbed?
3. when coupling MIKE11 and FeFLOW is there anything special I should pay attention to? Or I could just use normal coupling without special boundary conditions?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Dejan
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2018 11:26:12 GMT by Björn Kaiser
In following please find some answers here:

1. No, the different layers should represent your geological layers. There is no need for an extra layer.
2. IfmMIKE11 will automatically assign Fluid-transfer BC's with a reference head which corresponds to the water level of the river computed by MIKE11. You need to assign corresponding In-transfer rate and Out-transfer rates.
3. It depends on what exactly you want to do.

For further questions, you can also contact the FEFLOW Support: https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/support

You must be signed in to post in this forum.