Posted Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:23:31 GMT by Terry CORDONNIER engineer
Hello,

I am looking for the method to input saltwater in my coastal model (density ratio, hydraulic head (saltwater) BC,...).

Is there someone able to explain me?

Regards,

Terry
Posted Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:45:33 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Just a very short summary here: The density ratio is (rhos-rho0)/rho0 where rhos is the density of saltwater at concentration cs, rho0 is density at reference concentration c0. cs and c0 are input in Problem Settings - Transport Settings. Assuming that the seawater concentration is constant and equal to cs over depth at your sea boundary, the equivalent freshwater head BC value is (ztop-z)*density ratio. FEFLOW does this calculation automatically if you use the 'Saltwater Head' input option for the Hydraulic-head BC.
Posted Fri, 08 Jun 2012 04:08:16 GMT by Terry CORDONNIER engineer
Thank you Peter,

I'm agree with you, and i know already this method, but obviously concentration are different from those observed on field. Indeed there is too much salt. Which parameters do you suggest me to change.

Parameters i  don't want to change:    density ratio: 0.02543
                                                            hydraulic head (saltwater) BC = 0
                                                            hydraulic head BC = (ztop-z)*density ratio
                                                            mass concentration BC = 36000 mg/l

Parameters i would change:                molécular diffusion
                                                            Longitudinal et transversal dispersivity  (I know that  a[sub]l[/sub]/a[sub]t[/sub]=10, but how to chosse a[sub]l[/sub] or a[sub]t[/sub] ?)
                                                            K et S
                                                            porosity

Is there any parameters i forgot or another way to calibrate mass concentration ?

Regards,
Terry
Posted Thu, 09 Aug 2018 10:19:38 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
where can we see seawater head boundary condition option?
Posted Thu, 09 Aug 2018 13:21:55 GMT by Björn Kaiser
In the Data panel, please right-click on Fluid flow just below Boundary Conditions (BC) and choose Add Parameter from the context menu. Finally, choose Hydraulic-head BC (Saltwater).
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:48:27 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
thanks a lot. what bot density ratio? how can i incorporate it in to 3D model?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:58:26 GMT by Björn Kaiser
I am sorry. I think I did not fully understand your question. You may find a description of the density ratio here: http://www.feflow.info/html/help71/feflow/mainpage.htm#t=09_Parameters%2FMaterial_Properties%2Fflow_parameters.html%3Frhhlterm%3Ddensity%2520ratio%26rhsyns%3D%2520. If this does not answer your question, please provide more details.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2018 04:56:16 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
Where can i find detailed steps to do seawater intrusion model. Is there any tutorial for that? If i have a 3d flow model in a coastal regions wat and all parameters should i add to find sea water intrusion . How its calibration is done etc
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2018 07:47:41 GMT by Peter Schätzl
Dear razipv,

I would like to ask you to refrain from using capitalization in the way you do. This is generally considered as very rude, as it stands for yelling. You're asking for help, and I don't think you'll receive it when shouting at fellow forum members.

Thanks
Peter
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:11:34 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Thanks Peter. I fully agree.

Dear razipv,

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a detailed step-by-step manual. Instead, I can provide an answer to your specific question. If you are interested in a detailed step-by-step manual, I suggest a training course.

We will start our online training course sessions soon. For me it seems that [b]Module E: Introduction to density-driven flow for mining applications[/b] could address your interest. You may find further information on the training flyer:

https://www.dhigroup.com/upload/publications/course-calendar/DE_2018_CourseDescription_Thematic_FEFLOW_OnlineCourses_UK_B.pdf?_ga=2.31410687.1120057999.1534764576-697283644.1523874356

Thanks,
Björn
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2018 03:45:04 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
im sorry,  because capslock was on and noticed it only after typing a little bit. actually it was not in a rude way. i was just lazy to type it again. once again im so sorry :-\
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2018 06:14:53 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
i want to understand saltwater intrusion by sealevel rise. for that i need to put seawater head boundary as transient ryt. but there is no option to add time series for seawater boundary in editor. wat should i do?
Posted Mon, 03 Sep 2018 11:30:04 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Thank you for further clarification. I understand the problem now. Yes, you are right, FEFLOW does not have the option to assign a time-series to a SaltwaterBC. This is a missing feature. I will add this missing feature on the wish list for possible future developments. In the meanwhile, I suggest to assign the time-series to the equivalent fresh-water head (Hydraulic-head BC). Of course, you need to recalculate the time-series before you assign. Thank you for the note on the missing feature.
Posted Thu, 06 Sep 2018 03:05:13 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
u r welcome  :)
is there any formula to calculate equivalent fresh water head?
for example my initial sea level is 0m, then it increase at the rate of 3mm per year. so i can put it directly as time series ryt?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:38:12 GMT by Björn Kaiser
http://www.feflow.info/html/help71/feflow/mainpage.htm#t=09_Parameters%2FBoundary_Conditions%2FFlow%2Fhydraulic_head_bc_saltwaterhead.html
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:58:15 GMT by Razi Sadath P V Senior Research Fellow
Thank you :)
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:08:33 GMT by selva191
Hi, I am intrigued. Variable BC for Salt water Head - Plugin is facilitating the use of timeseries to give saltwater boundary if my understanding is correct. Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.