Posted Mon, 19 May 2014 10:48:26 GMT by Zeno Farina
Hi all,
I would like to model a BHE in a 2D vertical axysimmetric projection (therefore with gravity on the negative y-axis), where I place the BHE on the left edge of the model to see how temperature varies along the depth. Is this possible to do?

I have noticed it is not possible to place borehole heat exchanger BC in 2D models and therefore I have to use the heat nodal sink/source BC. Do I place the nodal BC on all the nodes where the BHE should be? How does this work?

Thanks for help!!
Posted Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:53:34 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you like to model a BHE in a 2D vertical axysimmetric projection I assume you want to investigate local rather than regional effects. In this context, I recommend to fully discretize the geometry of the BHE in the mesh.
Posted Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:59:04 GMT by Zeno Farina
Hi Bjorn! Thank you for your reply and for your suggestion! You are indeed correct, I would like to investigate local effects.
How does it work however with the Heat transport BC? How do I use the heat nodal sink/source BC instead of the borehole heat exchanger BC?
Again, thank you for your help!!!
Posted Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:04:45 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Hi Zeno, to mimic a BHE by means of a Heat nodal sink/source BC you may use a highly conductive 1D Discrete Feature (DF) and distribute Heat nodal sink/source BC’s evenly along the DF. The crucial disadvantage is given by the fact that you have to know a priori the charge/withdrawal, while for BHE’s you may use for instance a temperature differential. Usually vertical axisymmetric models are used for fully discretizing the geometry of the BHE within the finite element mesh.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.