Posted Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:53:42 GMT by Rapheul Liu CUMT
Hi there,
I am using feflow6.2 now, I would like to set up a groundwater system with hydraulic links between different aquifers. I have several aquifers and inbetween aquitards. For example, bottom aquifer may get recharge from the top unconfined aquifer cause there is a fault. Or when pumping a single aquifer, those other aquifers which have hydraulic link to it will also have water heads variations. I tried to define the same hydraulic heads bc but as long as there is an aquitard between, the water table did not change at all, means no influence happens between two aquifers. Anyone who knows how to realize that in feflow? My topic is in fact a dewatering problem for several layers, but those layers are all potential water sources and they are also influencing each other.
Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2016 09:53:16 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
For discrete structures, such as faults, you can use FEFLOW's feature 'Discrete Features'. Have a look at the manual and/or help system for details!
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2016 15:23:06 GMT by Rapheul Liu CUMT
Hi Peter, Thanks for your answer.

Actually I am not so interested in faults definition, or you are saying that discrete feature can be one tunnel for two aquifers that works?

Do you have any other suggestions without using discrete features to realize my assumption?  that several aquifers have influences on each other as I described? is it possible for feflow to do such modeling? In fact, I just need one connection between two aquifers. when pumping one, the other may also have changes(e.g. water heads decrease). 

Thanks again.     
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:01:05 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
In FEFLOW, the simulation is done in 3D (so it's not a collection of 2D models for the aquifers and aquitards). Thus the influence of the water level in one aquifer onto another aquifer depends on the properties of the layer in between. If you don't see any influence, the aquitard in between probably has a very low hydraulic conductivity.
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:08:45 GMT by Rapheul Liu CUMT
Thanks a lot Peter, yes, you are right. I tried Discrete Features defined inbetween two aquifers, it works well with this situation. Also I will try another option to define the aquitard with partly high conductivity values areas. Hope that works too.
Regards

You must be signed in to post in this forum.