Posted Tue, 20 Jan 2015 18:46:32 GMT by marco_fe
Hi everyone!

I am trying to model the anaerobic digestion of mixed sludge in the sludge line.

The sludge line includes two dewatering units (1st static, 2nd dinamic -how should I mimic that?-), an anaerobic digestion unit, a post dewatering unit and a centrifuge unit.

When I start the simulation, the model returns an error related to the anaerobic digestion block: "<Lower bound: AD.1.Trans_Out.Inflows(S_ch4)". I guess it is because I miss some inputs. I was wondering what kind of data should I look for first in order to ask the plant operator.

What inputs does the AD block need in the model?

Thank you in advance,

Marco
Posted Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:42:03 GMT by Enrico Remigi WEST Product Owner
[quote]... two dewatering units (1st static, 2nd dinamic -how should I mimic that?) ...[/quote]
What do you mean by "static" vs. "dynamic" ?

What you report suggests that the concentration of methane (S_ch4) in the "transformer out" (the interface ADM1/ASM1 after the digester) is negative. Now, what is the exact cause of this is impossible to say: you need to carefully inspect the current state (identify all the components that contribute to S_ch4 and you may be able to backtrack the specific trigger?), the influent (to the digester), the initial conditions, ..
Especially [b]the initial conditions[/b] are crucial for the ADM1 !
The set of default initial conditions works fine. Make sure that based on the actual volume of the digester, you rescale the initial masses ([b]vector M[/b]) accordingly.

[i]To do so, you need to access the Block Details of the ADM1 model within the Digester "coupled model". Use the Model Explorer pane of WEST and select the submodel "Digester1"[/i]

[quote]... inputs for the AD block ...[/quote]
I would say, primarily, the temperature and the size (total and headspace volume). But, as I said: the initial conditions are critical ! you need to ensure that there's sufficient buffering capacity to prevent the pH from dropping - which is evidently what one would do in reality too. If I recall right, the key quantities are IC, INN, anions and cations.
Posted Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:34:32 GMT by Enrico Remigi WEST Product Owner
Also have a look at previous posts on this argument. In particular, one entitled "ADM1 parameters" may provide you with some more insight.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.