Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2016 18:24:11 GMT by astroneer
Hi guys,

I am working on a project and I need to simulate a kind of specific biological active filter, it is called BIOFOR (developed by a company called Degremont), works as biological tertiary treatment and based on Nitrification-Denitrification cycle. Basically it includes a fixed media and the water enters from downside into the tanks and continues to upside.
You guys have you ever worked on same kind of configuration (as BIOFOR) or do you have some idea which block/unit could be the closest unit to my situation?
I appreciate a lot for any kind of suggestion and help.
Thanks.

Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2016 09:30:04 GMT by Enrico Remigi WEST Product Owner
Hi,
no, I haven't worked on BIOFOR before, but here's how I would tentatively go about it.
The Trickling Filter, MBBR and IFAS models include a biofilm model (and biological process within the biofilm), as well as biological process in liquid phase (only MBBR and IFAS). Beware that the biofilm model is kind of stiff, so you may need to patiently initialise it in order to get an acceptable simulation speed.
None of the standard models describe the hydraulics (upward flow) in great details though: so if this should be essential, you would need to implement this part of the model yourself.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:48:11 GMT by astroneer
I will try this configuration and tell you the results. I hope it won't take too long simulation speed.

Thanks Enrico.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.