Posted Fri, 07 Feb 2014 15:06:01 GMT by Simon Waldman PhD Researcher
I'm trying to import some high-resolution bathymetry in MIKE 2012 and am getting "Out of memory" errors, whether I use xyz or dfs2 files. My PC is certainly not actually out of memory, so I'm guessing that MIKE is hitting a maximum number of scatter data points or some such...

I realise that the 64-bit builds in MIKE 2014 may solve this problem, but I don't have access to that.

So... to save me a lot of trial and error, does anybody know what the maximum number of scatter data points that the 2012 Mesh Generator can handle is? Is this number per file, or total, or...?

Thanks.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:35:27 GMT by Mathieu Hellegouarch
Hi,

This limitation highly depends on your hardware.

The best way to save memory is to disable the display of scatter data: to achieve this, simply untick the "Display" option for each data file, in the Data \ Manage Scatter Data menu.
Please note that if you only deactivate the option "View Scatter Data" in the Data menu, it won't save memory.

Changing this usually helps. If it's not sufficient, you can however go to Edit \ Options, and reduce significantly (e.g. to a few units) the number of undo/redo levels: the Mesh Generator keeps in memory as many mesh versions as specified here, so reducing this value also saves memory.

Best regards,
Mathieu
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:02:55 GMT by jal@dhigroup.com
Hi,
If we assume that you have some additional software at disposal, I've got a few tips.

If your scatter data set is still too big for your model to handle, you can use either MatLab or e.g. ArcGIS (if you have access to it) to add elevation units to your mesh.

In ArcGIS:
If you create different shape layers which corresponds to your model extent, different zones etc, you can import these polygons into the mesh generator, either as boundaries straight away or as shape layers which you then use to draw your boundaries, zones etc. once again.
If you then create your mesh and export it, you'll have a mesh file with correct node values for X and Y but non-valid Z.
If you open your exported mesh in a text editor, copy all node coordinates and import to ArcGIS, and then use the Toolbox to assign a Z value straight from your DEM. Then export all points (with correct X,Y,Z now) to a text file, copy all values and paste them in your mesh file (replacing the X,Y,Z you copied the first time.

Now you'll have a working bathymetry file which you can use.
NOTE; If you have a very big project area, the abova operation in ArcGIS can take a lot of time. And you can't easily redo your mesh as you'll have to go through the steps above every time. Editing the bathymetry is fine though, you just can't change the position of the mesh nodes.

Hope it works out!

Best regards,
Jonas
Posted Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:24:22 GMT by Simon Waldman PhD Researcher
[quote author=Jonas Althage link=topic=1954.msg4434#msg4434 date=1392904975]
Hi,
If we assume that you have some additional software at disposal, I've got a few tips.

If your scatter data set is still too big for your model to handle, you can use either MatLab or e.g. ArcGIS (if you have access to it) to add elevation units to your mesh.

[/quote]

Sorry to be slow, I didn't notice the reply - but a great answer, so thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.