Posted Thu, 12 Aug 2021 06:13:15 GMT by Luis Caja Nacher Grupo Gimeno Facsa
Hello,

I am trying to do a simulation of two days, on the coast of Valencia, studying the dispersion of BOD and DO, but when the simulation achieve an half of the days, I recieve an error, that it says "Fatal Error Blow Up - Elevation too large".

Which can be the causes and the solution for this problem?

Thanks

Greetings
Posted Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:23:18 GMT by Igor Moro Lima
Hi Luis,

Well first of all you can check the simulation log file to retrieve some information regarding the Warnings that might have come before this error, which might help you understand the situation better.

In my case, I was able to solve this same error by increasing the number of cells in my mesh, (the same as decreasing the max area of the elements when creating the mesh). Also removing and simplifying some small tributaries in my river model, that had very small angles in the cells, that can cause some model instabilities.

You can check these possibly problematic cells by clicking the "analyze mesh" in the Mesh Generator.

Hope I've helped,

Cheers
Posted Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:02:22 GMT by Stefan Leschka
Hi Luis,

beside the very good suggestions by Igor, pointing out mesh quality which governs the quality of the solution and also the stability, here a few other challenging situations which you can try to prevent:

* flooding and drying at boundaries
* large differences in two neighbouring boundary conditions (e.g. difference in water levels close to each other)

Cheers
Stefan

You must be signed in to post in this forum.