Posted Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:42:33 GMT by Jérémie Roques International Volunteer; Hydrological mapping and model implementation
Hi all;

By running my Mike 11 with flood mapping option and mike 21 models I respectively get following messages:
- “error. DfsWriteItem TimeStep return code is 2002”
- “WriteDataItem: Write error"

Does those messages mean that my computer miss memory?

Actually; I wanted to reduce Courant Number and tried to switch from a 1h to a 15m time step (CoN from 634 to 158; still too much… ).
Is there a better way to reduce CoN; enlarging channels?

Thanks

Jérémie
Posted Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:41:30 GMT by Mathieu Hellegouarch
Hi Jérémie,

a "Write error" could be due to a lack of free space on your harddisk, or to the fact that you save the result file on a network drive which is unavailable.

To reduce the Courant number, you have to either use coarser cells or reduce the simulation time step. The time step values you mention seem to be quite high, except if you use a very coarse resolution.

Where do you get the Courant number values from? Is this a result, or the informative value which is provided in the 'Simulation period' menu of MIKE 21? Note that the latter is only an approximation, since the actual Courant number will vary during the simulation, depending on water depths and velocities. And do you use a flexible mesh or a rectangular grid?

Best regards,
Mathieu
Posted Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:05:07 GMT by Jérémie Roques International Volunteer; Hydrological mapping and model implementation
Hello;

Thanks Mathieu for this new answer, this make now complete sense when I look free space on my disk…
Well; I am using a rectangular grid and the courant number was the estimated one of the simulator. So enlarging grid size might be the only solution I have…
I will try this with a mesh grid as well.
Thanks a lot
Best

Jérémie
Posted Wed, 15 Jul 2015 03:50:27 GMT by Silvarza
Any statements you come in useful in the lot.
Posted Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:50:04 GMT by pmani1970@gmail.com
Dear Mathieu

How do you get the Courant number values in MIKE21 result files.

Even in my setup file in the 'Simulation period' menu of MIKE 21, I am not able to get the Courant number. Is there some error in my setup file

You must be signed in to post in this forum.