Posted Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:36:03 GMT by Chin Lung Wu Student
Hi,

In my model setup, there are many river links with bank elevations above the topography. So I should either adjust the cross sections in the MIKE 11 or adjust my topography. In the manual, there is a hint says, "[color=red]You can also use one of the Flood code options to automatically modify your topography, if you have wide cross-sections or a detailed bathymetry file. In this case, after you have set up your MIKE 11 model you can specify a constant grid code for the whole model and let MIKE SHE calculate a modified topography based on the cross-sections or bathymetry. Then save the topography file as above and then use it as the model topography[/color]."
Where can I find the modified topography calculated by MIKE SHE? If I have a detailed bathymetry file, should I better adjust my branch cross section instead of topography? Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Vince
Posted Thu, 03 Oct 2013 07:16:14 GMT by Oluf Jessen
Hi Vince
If you use the bathymetry option you could view the resulting or modified DEM in the pre-processed data. This will show you the DEM that the model uses during the actual model simulations. You need to evaluate the results, as I’m not sure this option is the best to use.
The problem with cross sections and DEM is not easy, and basically boils down to a scale issue, as the cross sections represent the surface using a fine scale while the DEM normally represents the DEM in a coarser scale. I would normally recommend that you try to get a reasonable match between the bank elevation in the cross sections and the DEM. The approach would be to alter the datum in the cross sections so that they match (within a range of X meters depending on the scale) the DEM. There are many issues to take into account when looking at cross section data and DEM depending on which issues you are looking at. Please feel free to write here again or contact DHI if you want to discuss this further.
Best regards
Oluf

You must be signed in to post in this forum.