Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2019 22:56:25 GMT by Spencer Whitman Grad Student
1.  You can get a profile series from gridded results using the Profile button at the gridded Results Viewer as per the attached image (MIKESHE_ProfileSeries.jpg).  Is this an average along the profile line (I think so but would like to confirm)?  Is there any way to get grid values along the line instead?

2.  You can generate a cross section of some variables by viewing the xxx_3DUZ.df3 file (MIKESHE_kl-Projection.PNG).  Is there any way to create a time series video of such images?

3.  Is there any way to output a 3D or 2D non-binary result file, or any existing extraction utilities so that post processing and visualization can be done in a more custom way?

Thanks,
Posted Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:23:22 GMT by Elias Moussoulis
Hi,
1. Unfortunately this is a code issue for 'water content in unsaturated zone' gridded results (only the first cell along the profile line is actually used). I've reported to our development team so I expect it will be fixed in a future release/update. Meanwhile the workaround is to use the MIKE Zero Extraction tool 'Profileseries from 3D file' (you need to define the start-end profile points coordinates (for one ore more profiles) and an appropriate spacing, probably similar to your model domain cell size to make sure you get all the detail along the profile).
2. You can use the MIKE Zero Extraction tool '2D Grid from 3D file'. One of the dialogs of this tool allows to specify a desired slice/plane (XZ, YZ or ZY) from the 3D dfs3 file. The output of this would be a time varying dfs2 grid file which could then be loaded in Result Viewer or Plot Composer to create a video (using the 'Video Forward' button at the "Result Viewer Tools" toolbar).
3. Postprocessing can normally be done using the Grid Editor tools: if you open the dfs2/dfs3 files, the Grid Editor has various postprocessing tools (e.g. select cells by polygon, set/add/subtract/multiply/divide cell values by a user-defined value, apply expression/equation calculations using multiple functions, calculate statistics, copy/add/multiply different grid dfs2 files, ..).
For visualization we would normally use Result Viewer (e.g. for creating videos of a certain output parameter) or Plot Composer (e.g. for creating videos of scenarios comparison or simultaneous animation of different types of outputs).
If you still want to modify/visualize the dfs2/dfs3 files outside MIKE, since these are binary files, you would need to convert them to other formats. E.g. you could use the 'GIS' tools in the MIKE Zero toolbox or some conversion tools in the MIKE Tools webpage (e.g. MIKE2Shape): https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/download/mike-by-dhi-tools.
Hope this helps.
Posted Thu, 18 Feb 2021 19:47:42 GMT by Spencer Whitman Grad Student
Hello.

As a follow-up to this question, my current model has a few different soil zones, and the vertical discretization varies vertically in each zone in order to add finer discretization at each layer interface along the vertical profile.

When I look at the results, either directly from the 3DUZ.dfs3 file, or from a 2D timeseries extracted from it, the results are displayed with uniformly sized grid cells, even though that is not the case in the model setup.  You can see in the attached image that one zone is misaligned with the other, even though they extend to the same vertical depth (~12 m).

I am wondering if there is some way to plot a cross section from the 3DUZ.dfs3 file with vertical discretization sized (scaled) as specified in the model setup under Unsaturated Flow > Soil Profile Definitions.

If there is a solution that would involve some post-processing outside of MIKE  as well I am interested to hear that also.  I think I could do it if I could somehow extract the 3D grid of vertical discretization, or a 3D grid of actual depth instead of just the cell numbers.

Thank You

You must be signed in to post in this forum.