Please wait...

Error

Posted Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:00:05 GMT by Søren Erbs Poulsen
I am using a 3D FEFLOW model to simulate fluid flow and density-dependent solute transport in a contaminated aquifer. Decontamination is done by injecting a "cleaning" agent into the aquifer by employing various pumping schemes. One scenario involves switching between injection and water abstraction at two wells over time. Thus, one well injects the cleaning agent while another well abstracts water some distance away. At a later point in time the injection well is switched to an abstraction well while at the same time switching the other well (abstraction well) to an injection well.

In FEFLOW, this pumping scheme can not be handled by powerseries alone because the specified concentration boundary at the injection well must be removed once the well is switched to an abstraction well and reset once it is switched back to injection (or am I wrong?). This is easily accomplished for a single slice with an IFM module but my problem is that I want to remove/set the boundary condition for all slices that involve the well-screen. I have checked the available IFM functions (and this forum) but none of them seem to give the option to switch between slices/layers. I was hoping for a function that would have the name ifmSetSliceNumber or something similar. I am pretty sure that the solution is straightforward but I just can seem to work it out. I am sorry if this topic is covered in another thread.

Thanks in advance!
Søren
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:27:35 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Indeed the solution is relatively simple: the node numbering in FEFLOW starts on slice 1, then slice 2, etc. The order of nodes in each slice is identical. So if you know the node number of the well on slice 1, the node number on slice 2 is this number plus the number of nodes per slice (IfmGetNumberOfNodesPerSlice).
Posted Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:08:40 GMT by Søren Erbs Poulsen
Thank you Peter - it was very useful :)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.