Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:32:41 GMT by zheng
Hi,

According to FEFLOW 5.3 User's Manual (page 181), to activate the function of Multi-layer wells, "you have to set the corresponding button in the Specific Options Settings... submenu of the shell's Options menu." And I tried that. I found that wether you set this or not, you can always use the multilayer well function. Is it a bug?

Regards,

Qinghuai
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:12:11 GMT by Alexander Renz
When creating a multi-layer well in the flow boundary dialogue, FEFLOW sets a 4th kind (well) condition on the specified node on all specified layers. The total pumping rate is then applied to the bottommost node (all other nodes have a flux rate of zero), and the nodes are connected similar to a 1D discrete feature element.

Switching off the well-bore-condition in specific options setting would disable these connections (In some cases, this might become necessary). However, in the common case, it shall be activated.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:56:26 GMT by zheng
Thanks a lot, Alexander.

Then what is the difference between multi-layer well and Standard Single well? For example, there are two cases.

Case one: I put Standard Single Well in the same (x,y) coordinates at Layer 3, 4 , 5, 6, and set the puming rate on Layer 6 as 100, and on the rest layers (i.e., 3,4,5) as 0.

Case two: I put multi-layer well in the same (x,y) coordinates as case one, and the puming rate on Layer 6 is 100, and on the rest layers (i.e., 3,4,5) is 0.

What is the difference between case one and two?

Thanks.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:27:38 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Qinghuai:

There is no difference really, other than the data input. In (a) Multi-layer mode you can simply put in the top and bottom depth (or elevation) of the well and the pumping rate. FeFlow will figure out which slices should have BCs. If you use (b) Single well mode, [i][b]you[/b][/i] need to figure out, which slices you need to put the BCs on. Option (a) is easier.

Chris
Posted Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:54:44 GMT by Carolina Vera
Hi all,
Exactly the answer that I was loking for. Thanks a lot.

But I have other question yet.
If I use the 1D discrete feature element  How a can set head restriction to the pumping?.
If is not possible I should use the a) option of Zheng and setting manually in each slice the corresponding nodes?.

thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.