Posted Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:42:19 GMT by Markus Theel Student
Hi there. I work with a model including a funnel-and-gate-system (FaG). The funnel-and-gate-system works as barriere for the groundwater flow. In one part of the model the funnel (core wall,[i] in german[/i]: Dichtwand) is along the groundwater flow direction. Next to the core wall I input warm water. But now the core wall is not a barriere for temperature transport. I already changed the material porperties for the core wall and the element size is in this area also very small. But the heat plume ignores the core wall completly. To make elements inactive is also no option for this model, because this would destroy the discrete features in this model. What have I to do that the core wall represent a barriere for the heat plume?
Posted Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:05:25 GMT by Björn Kaiser
What material properties did you change? The heat transport equation in FEFLOW involves advective and thermal diffusive terms. If you decrease the hydraulic conductivity to a very small value you minimize advective forces, but account for thermal diffusion. In contrast, if you decrease the thermal conductivity to a very small value you minimize thermal diffusion, but account for advection.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.