Posted Tue, 07 Aug 2018 07:47:09 GMT by Thomas Strauhal
Hi,
I am currently testing the software Leapfrog to generate geological models and have a question concerning the usage of Leapfrog models for FEFLOW.

I am aware that Leapfrog has got the hydrogeology add-on which can generate .fem files. But for this case I want to import a Leapfrog mesh file (*.lfm).

Can you please tell me a workflow or hints what I might be doing wrong?

So in the first step I generate a .lfm file in Leapfrog. The model is rather large but it works absolutely fine in Leapfrog.

Then I import the .lfm file in FEFLOW. The import takes more than one hour but as soon as the import is finished I can view the 3D model in FEFLOW without any problems. So let's assume I don't want to include anything else (like wells etc.)...what is the best way to generate a mesh for FEFLOW? Are there any settings which I should change in the "TetGen Meshing" tool? Approximate number of elements? Each homogeneous consists of a individual geological volume in Leapfrog. Do I have to change anything to preserve this information in FEFLOW? And why do I generate a new mesh anyway since I already created one in Leapfrog?

Or is your suggestion to generate a .fem file with Leapfrog instead of a .lfm file?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thomas
Posted Tue, 07 Aug 2018 10:50:28 GMT by Björn Kaiser
You need to generate a finite element mesh composed of tetrahedral elements. The geological model in LeapFrog is not finite element mesh. Instead, it is a geological model. Triangulated surfaces in 3D space may represent external boundaries and internal boundaries as such as geological interfaces or faults.

An overview about the generator properties is provided here: http://www.feflow.info/html/help71/feflow/mainpage.htm#t=07_MeshGeneration%2F3D_Meshing%2Ftetgen.html

You must be signed in to post in this forum.