Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 03:52:35 GMT by Jiale Wang
Hi! I'm now using FEFLOW 5.3 to study karst water system.

In the research of modeling groundwater by FEFLOW, I met a problem that was how to calculate groundwater residence time in FEFLOW. In other words, how is the running time  of groundwater from recharge area to discharge area calculated in FEFLOW?

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 04:09:16 GMT by Jarrah Muller Civil Engineer
Try using pathlines
[url=http://www.feflow.info/html/help/default.htm?turl=HTMLDocuments%2Fworkflows%2Fvisualization%2Fpathlines.htm]http://www.feflow.info/html/help/default.htm?turl=HTMLDocuments%2Fworkflows%2Fvisualization%2Fpathlines.htm[/url]
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:14:13 GMT by Jiale Wang
Thanks for your reply,  Jarrah!

By using backward pathline, I can detect where does the groundwater come from. But how could I identify the running time of groundwater from recharge area  moving to the discharge area?

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:59:19 GMT by Jarrah Muller Civil Engineer
Look in the help file I linked for descriptions relating to "isochrone markers". These marks are measures of residence time along the pathline.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 04:06:01 GMT by Blair Thornburrow Groundwater Modeller
You might also want to create a population of seed points around your target, including at different depths.  This will provide a range of travel times and origins.  You may notice this varies quite a bit depending on where you place your seed points so it is important to capture this variation.

Lilke your picture by the way Jarrah.. the likeness is uncanny.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 02:31:32 GMT by Jiale Wang
Thanks for your reply, Jarrah and Blair!

By using "isochrone markers", I have gotten the groundwater residence time.

Thanks!
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:03:35 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Alternatively, you might want to check out chapter 8 in the FEFLOW White Papers, Volume I.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.