Posted Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:23:14 GMT by amelia
I regualrly import shapefiles with nodal or elemantal data to adjust  K distribution or starting head distribution.

Recently for some reason I can no longer seem to properly import a shapefiile using the Assign - Database - regionalization method?

When attempting to do this FEFLOW slowly acts like it is importing the data, but the values which the model is populated with are totally wrong.

I was successful in exporting a triplet (.trp) file from the output of one model and importing it as the starting heads for a subsequent model.  So it seems the problem is with the file format rather than the regionalization.

With this in mind I tried to turn a shapefile with K distribution into a .trp file using the method described in a previos post by Vlad.  However when I imported the newly made .trp file a warning came up stating " Line 1: Invalid Coordinat Format". 

At this point I checked the .trp files that were directly exported from  the model verses the one created from the shapefile and discovered the x and Y values were completely different????

[u]Do the .trp files utilize the origin set up for the model or are they (0,0) at the origin[/u]?

[u]Also is there any explanation for shapefiles to no longter be read properly by Feflow?[/u]

Posted Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:13:17 GMT by Christopherus Braun
Amelia,

the most frequent error source in importing data from a shapefile is the current coordinate system you use in FEFLOW. By default FEFLOW switches to a local coordinate system and in most cases your shapefile will of course not match those coordinates.  To check this: click left in the field on the lower left part of your FEFLOW screen where you see the coordinates. Here you can switch between local and global coordinate system.

Hope this helps.

Zebra
Posted Wed, 09 Jul 2008 06:50:22 GMT by Boris Lyssenko
Thanks zebra for providing this answer. Just a little addendum: FEFLOW now (since FEFLOW 5.2, I think) by default uses the global coordinate system. So in most cases you do not have to change the coordinate system settings.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.