Posted Wed, 22 Jul 2020 14:39:33 GMT by christian chirinos rojas
Good morning friends.

My name is Christian Chirinos and I am from Peru. My query is [b]what Feflow tool can I use to calculate the approximate pumping flow rate that a proposed well could have in my numerical model?[/b] For example, Modflow generally uses an option called Zone Budget combined with constant load cells.

I hope you can help me with this matter, I thank you in advance for your time and look forward to your response.

Thank you very much!
Posted Thu, 23 Jul 2020 05:51:34 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
As a first approximation, you can use a constant head node with the approximate well level that you target. FEFLOW gives you the balance on the node, corrresponding to the pumping rate. There are, however, a few more conditions to consider: The balance depends on spatial discretization, so you should use the so-called ideal element size around the well if you want to get the budget right (depending on the radius of the planned well). There is also an optimum water level in the well that gives you maximum inflow (in case your aquifer is unconfined) as with too much drawdown, the inflow reduces due to reduced transmissivity while with not enough drawdown, the low head gradient limits the inflow. FEFLOW will not calculate that ideal drawdown for you, but you can estimate it in advance from analytical equations or simply do some tests with different levels in FEFLOW.
Posted Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:26:04 GMT by christian chirinos rojas
Thank you so much for your answer.

The simulation has to be with my other existing wells working or turned off? How much time i have to set up the simulation for get the pumping rate of the new well?

Thank you in advance, and if you have any example i would be very grateful for you.
Posted Fri, 24 Jul 2020 06:47:07 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
These quesions you'll have to answer yourself based on what the targets of your simulation are - the forum members can help you with technical questions, but the conceptual basis required knowledge than cannot easily be conveyed in a couple of lines.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.