Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2018 10:40:41 GMT by Alberto Previati
Hi guys,
I'm trying to reproduce a realistic[b] 2d vertical section[/b] of acquifers in a sedimentary plain.
I inserted the wells as [b]WELL BC's[/b] (m3/d) or also as Source/Sink material property (flow rate divided by the area of the element) but the drawdown is exaggerately higher than i expected.
I suppose i should [b]scale the pumping rate[/b] by a factor because in the reality the amount of water extracted derives from every direction in the space, while in a 2d section the water can derive only from the direction of my section.
Does anyone already faced up this problem?
Thanks for the attention
;)
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:37:28 GMT by Peter Schätzl
Indeed a 2D cross-sectional model can not adequately represent the radial flow field around a pumping well. On option for resolving this problem is to analytically calculate the expected drawdown and use this as a hydraulic-head BC. In don't think that simple scaling of the pumping rate will help (but you may wish to summarize the analytical equations for a pumping well and a 2D cross-sectional situation to get the picture). If the model is for the well cone only (with the well on the left-hand side, you can use an axisymmetric model (but this doesn't seem to be your case).

You must be signed in to post in this forum.