Please wait...

Error

Posted Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:07:20 GMT by Alberic Magnard
Hello,

I made a 2D vertical model by imposing a constant head on the 2 sides of my model. I also imposed a constant head in 3 nodes in order to simulate 3 wells that lower the groundwater level in the excavation of a building.
Using the "budget analyzer" on all 3 nodes, I know the flow pumped by the 3 wells for 1 m thick.

- To know the total flow pumped in the excavation, is it possible to simply multiply the flow obtained by the width of the excavation?

- How can I find the necessary number of wells on the entire site?

In summary, I try to extrapolate my 2D vertical model in 3D in order to know the total flow pumped and the number of wells needed for lowering the level of the aquifer in the site. (I don't have a 3D licence).

Thank you very much for your help! (and sorry for my english)
Albéric
Posted Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:45:55 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
I would think that it is nearly impossible to estimate the required pumping in a cross-sectional model. Dewatering of a construction site usually involves a highly three-dimensional flow field. Extrapolating from the cross-sectional model would assume an unlimited size of the site in the third dimension (like a long ditch) - thus probably underestimating the inflow. Placing wells exactly is impossible in a 2D model.
Posted Mon, 18 Oct 2010 07:11:49 GMT by Alberic Magnard
Thank you for your reply Peter.

Best regards,
Albéric
Posted Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:47:08 GMT by Gianmarco Dio Egr. ing.
Hello Alberic

Why don't you try with a 2D horizontal model?
Good luck
Gianmarco
Posted Sun, 31 Oct 2010 03:10:29 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
I agree with Gianmarco: a 2D horizontal model could indeed be better than a 2D cross-sectional one. However, the restrictions have to be kept in mind: The aquifer has to be fairly homogeneous, and so such structures as sheet pile walls around the construction may be simulated.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.