Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:44:54 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Hi,
i wonder what is the best way to define the Recharge (Rain that infiltrate to aquifer)

so far i used 'in/out flow on top' with positive value for flow
now i want to add transport too ...
so should i use source/sink? 1st kind boundary? else ?

say i have a recharge with 50 mg/l allover the area what value shoud i apply?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:09:44 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Hi Elad,

there's not one 'best way', but there are several constraints to consider when defining a concentration for recharge:

:( You can use a first kind condition only in the case that at the top nodes recharge is the only flow. If you have additional lateral flow, and recharge only contributes a little bit to the total amount of water in the top slice, you'd get too much mass into your model by putting a first kind bc.

:( Source/sink is not applicable as it defines a source/sink per volume of the element - so your known values of recharge concentration won't fit.

:) So the only way is to use a 2nd kind boundary condition (unit is something like g/(m²d) all over the top. You can calculate the value you need by recharge multiplied with recharge concentration.

[size=14pt][color=red]![/color][/size] You need to use 'divergence form' of the transport equation when using 2nd kind mass bcs. Using 'divergence form' might lead to difficulties at outflowing boundaries like pumping wells.
Best regards,
Peter

--
Dipl.-Ing. Peter Schätzl,FEFLOW Support Services
WASY Gesellschaft für wasserwirtschaftliche Planung und

You must be signed in to post in this forum.