Posted Sat, 20 Mar 2021 03:21:58 GMT by Breno Pereira Engenheiro Hidrogeólogo
Hi,

From the streamlines/pathlines of a flow simulation I can se that part of the water that reaches a specific area of the model comes from a tailing dam and the rest comes from a waste dump. As both of them are far from that specific area, I can´t use the masking domain.

Is there any other way I could quantify [u]how much of water comes from each of those areas[/u] ?

Thanks.
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:46:31 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
You'd have to run a transport simulation, marking the water coming from one of the sources by a fake concentration, e.g. 100 mg/l. The concentration in the target area then corresponds to the percentage of the water from the marked source.
Posted Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:35:44 GMT by Breno Pereira Engenheiro Hidrogeólogo
Thanks a lot, Peter.
I will give it a try.
Do you think a [u]observation point [/u] would be the better option to check that concentration in target area?
Posted Wed, 24 Mar 2021 06:15:08 GMT by Peter Schätzl Grundwassermodellierer
An observation point would be one option. Depending on what you want to know, you could also think about doing the statistics over a volume, plot distributions, look at cross-sections, etc.
Posted Wed, 24 Mar 2021 11:41:57 GMT by Breno Pereira Engenheiro Hidrogeólogo
thanks again, my friend. and I think, as it is not the objective, that I could treat the transport simulation just as an advection-only problem, right?
I will set a BC type 1 for that concentration at the source and check the evolution of the concentrations along the model domain, as I understood by what you´ve said.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.