Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:40:41 GMT by Olivier MASSET Collaborateur scientifique
Dear All,

I have a horizontal 2D model with a river boundary at one side of the model. In reality the river shore is pretty flat and the shoreline moves significantly when the river level rises and falls. Do you have any idea how to implement a horizontally moving shoreline for a 2D FEFLOW model?
Thanks in advance for the answers and comments.

Regards,

Olivier
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2016 10:44:50 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you are interested to represent the physics in both the aquifer and the river including their mutual coupling you use FEFLOW with MIKE21. An interface for the coupling is under current development.

If you are looking for a solution within FEFLOW you could try to use IFMLake. IfmLake is an IFM plug-in which allows integrating lakes within a FEFLOW model.
The plug-in calculates the development of water levels from internal fluxes (received or discharged by the lake from the groundwater model) and/or external fluxes (defined by the user).
The plug-in further changes the horizontal extent of the lakes depending on water level and surface elevation.

The plugin is for free. You may contact the FEFLOW Support to get the plugin or to get further information about the MIKE21 coupling.
<a href="https://www.mikepoweredbydhi.com/support">FEFLOW Support</a>.
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2016 11:17:11 GMT by Olivier MASSET Collaborateur scientifique
Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try the IfmLake plugin.

Olivier
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:18:57 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
There might be even an option without a plug-in: If the river bottom is implemented as a minimum-head constraint for the transfer BC, in the lastest FEFLOW versions (from patch 8 for FEFLOW 7.0), the transfer BC is internally turned off in case that the BC value (river water level) is below the minimum-head constraint (river bed elevation). With this, you can simulate a varying shoreline by simply using time-varying conditions for the water level in connection with a constraint representing the river bottom.
Posted Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:54:34 GMT by Olivier MASSET Collaborateur scientifique
Hi Peter

Would your solution work for a 2D horizontal unconfined model?

Regards,

Olivier
Posted Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:47:21 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Without having it tested from my side yet I assume it also works for 2D horizontal model.
Posted Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:30:53 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Yes, it works. I'm actually using it right now - not for moving shoreline, but for a river that goes dry parts of the year in some sections.
Posted Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:05:31 GMT by Björn Kaiser
Great, thanks Peter.
Posted Thu, 22 Dec 2016 10:36:30 GMT by Olivier MASSET Collaborateur scientifique
Thanks Peter,

It works for me too.

Olivier

You must be signed in to post in this forum.