Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:00:47 GMT by Christian Bryn
Hi,

I want to create maps in which i show the potential impact zones around an abstraction well. This would include the capture and infiltration zones, ages of particles by zones and the marking of paricles that will enter the well when releasing them from a specific area. I have done this in GMS MODFLOW as illustrated in the attached figures but i cannot figure out how to do this in FEFLOW. Please see the attached figures for visual examples.

Thank you all for responses

Best regards
Christian Bryn
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2017 13:03:40 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you intend to delineate the catchment zones based on fieldlines (e.g. streamlines), then you have to create a nodal selection indicating the location to start the particle tracks. You can store a current selection by a right-click in the working window. Choose [b]Store Current Selection[/b] from the context menu. Go to the [b]Selection Panel[/b] and activate the selection. In the [b]Data Panel - Process Variables - Fluid flow[/b] double-click on the field lines of interest [b](e.g. Streamlines - Backward)[/b]. Go to the [b]View Components Panel[/b] and right-click on the streamlines and choose [b]Properties[/b] from the context menu. Enter a [b]radius[/b] which will be considered for the seeds and [b]Apply[/b]. Finally, activate the [b]Traces[/b] in the [b]View Components Panel[/b].

If you want to process the data in GIS you can export the fieldlines from the View Components Panel.

Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2017 13:49:09 GMT by Christian Bryn
Thank you for your reply Bjørn.

I have done what you are describing. I was thinking of different display options. I manage to display the stream lines and color codes for particle ages. What i want to do next is (as seen in the first figure, where i used MODFLOW) to release particles from an area and automatically colour the particles that enters the abstraction well, this as part of an impact assessment. The other part is to create polygons which displays where the particles are located after e.g. 50 days (as shown in the second picture) in order to create different activity zones in the vicinity of the well, also as part of an impact assessment.
I am simply interested in these displaying options and if these are available in FEFLOW. If this is not yet possible in FEFLOW, then this will be a suggestion for future versions of FEFLOW. I found the figures which i attached nice to show to the customer.

Best regards
Christian Bryn

Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2017 14:32:15 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you want to consider an area (polygon) to seed the particle-tracks you simply have to select all nodes which are located within this polygon. However, at the moment FEFLOW does not have the option to create an automatic color-coding depending whether or not the trajectory leaves the system through the well.
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2017 14:32:58 GMT by Björn Kaiser
I will add the last aspect on the FEFLOW wish list for future developments.
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2017 07:53:49 GMT by Christian Bryn
Ok. Thank you:)
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2017 12:11:48 GMT by Björn Kaiser
If you have a mass transport license you could additionally make mass transport and/or age-based simulations.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.