Posted Thu, 05 Apr 2018 17:26:47 GMT by S Heermann
I am having problems importing polygons for use in creating a supermesh file.
This especially occurs for the scenario where I have carved out a hole (i.e. island) in the polygon and replaced it with a a second polygon.
(Note: in carving out the hole, the main polygon is divided into two parts, one for the perimeter and one for the hole)
I have checked to be sure all vertices are alligned.  But I still get error messages like the ones shown below.

Warning: Polygon #7 ring 2 dropped since overlapping with polygon #7!
        Warning: Polygon #10 dropped since overlapping with polygon #7!

Do you have any suggestions to improve the work-flow processes or on the availability of specific GIS tools to create internal polygons?
Posted Fri, 06 Apr 2018 13:52:23 GMT by Björn Kaiser
The vertices of a polygon are counted counter clock-wise. The orientation of the vertices which are shared by the inner and by the outer polygon are clockwise. This is not supported by FEFLOW. Instead, the vertices must be counter-clockwise. You need a GIS tool which allows you to change the order of the vertices.
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:49:54 GMT by Drake
Mr. Heermann,
I know this is an old question, but did this solution work for you?

I beleive I have come up with an alternative solution, but I am still working at meshing the polygons.  Seems to be taking a bit too long. However, I got around the dropped polygons by splitting the main polygon in half so that it “cups” the island polygon from both sides.

Regards

You must be signed in to post in this forum.