Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 23:47:02 GMT by tkershaw
Hello all,
I am currently trying to model seawater intrusion in a coastal aquifer using FEFLOW v6.01 and, as a starting point, I am trying to build a simplified 2D cross sectional model. I have the following boundary conditions:
[list]
[li]Along the ground surface (top of the model domain) I have a Fluid Flux BC with a 0mg/L Mass Concentration BC[/li]
[li]Along the inland boundary (left of model domain) I have a Fluid Flux BC and a 0 mg/L Mass Concentration BC[/li]
[li]Along the slanted seaward boundary (right of model domain) I have a 0m Saltwater Head (SWH) BC and a 35000 mg/L Mass Concentration BC with a Minimum Mass Flow Constraint of 0 g/d[/li]
[/list]
The density ratio is constant throughout the domain at 0.0245
My run of 1000days shows a saltwater wedge encroaching landward as predicted.

My problem is that when I change the SWH BC to a higher value (simulating sea level rise), the mass contours are the same for 1m, 10m, even 100m of SWH after 1000 days.
Shouldnt the contour lines look significantly different (more inland) with increasing SWH?
Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks so much for the help!
Posted Thu, 07 Jun 2012 21:56:00 GMT by Denim Umeshkumar Anajwala
Indeed I'd also expect that. May it be that you have applied a large dispersivity, hereby influencing the isoline locations by dispersivity rather than gradient?
Posted Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:39:35 GMT by psinton@aquageo.us
Or perhaps too coarse a grid.  Mass error is maybe overwhelming the result.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:59:13 GMT by Gianmarco Dio Egr. ing.
Hello

Try a head BC instead of flux on the landward margin.

Good luck

Gianmarco

You must be signed in to post in this forum.